December 16, 2009

on closure

for a change of pace, this time i want to share some advice i gave my mother. brace yourself: this may be the smartest thing i've ever said.
when i was six, i left the resort where my family was staying and hiked up a wooded hill all by myself. my parents had gone into town and my sister was crying because she missed them. so off i went to solve the problem: the plan was to hike to the nearest resort, then to the next, and finally find my way to town, where - i imagined - it would be easy to find mom and dad.

in the meantime, my parents came home, realized i was gone, and freaked out. eventually, they discovered where i was and my dad came to get me. i didn't know what i had done wrong, but i felt horrible. somehow the plan was inherently flawed. then dad explained the problem: i had made three mistakes. i had left corina alone, i had hiked by myself, and i hadn't told anyone where i was going. (the last one was technically untrue, but we'll move on.) then he told me that my mom was back at home, and very upset.

i had never seen my mom cry before, and that was pretty scary for me. somehow, though, i was able to offer her a little wisdom: "mom, lie down and try to forget it ever happened."

2 comments:

  1. As responsible parents, dad and Luisa should have never left you alone at 6 years old to take care of little Corina :-) It was THEIR mistake, and not yours. I hope you know that.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know how it was back then... everyone let their kids run wild. none of the kids we were playing with (including the one i *did* leave word with, btw) had their parents around at the time. if they had, one of those parents might have noticed what i was doing.

    anyway, i don't feel bad about this at all. (if anything, sometimes i wonder where that courage went, to be honest.) even then, i didn't think i'd done anything *wrong,* per se. but i guess i did learn - as i have many more times over - that you can hurt someone without intending to.

    ReplyDelete